Tuesday, April 6, 2010



M.C. Higgins was set apart because of the pole his father gave him as a prize. In class we thought the pole could be a number of things from a throne, a haven, something connecting him to his family, or just something setting him apart from the community. In one instance we said it was a thing that made him a God-like figure.



This made me think of other stories where items made characters seem like they were God-like figures. In Peanuts, Linus had his blanket and in Genesis, Joseph had his mulit-colored coat. Linus always carried his blanket around and in the Charlie Brown Christmas, he delivered the true meaning of Christmas. In Joseph's story the coat set him apart from his siblings which ultimately led to his authoritarian role.



In many stories items can signify a heavenly status. In M.C.'s case he liked to sit on his pole high above the ground, gaze at his surroundings, and mold them to his liking. He appears to be on a pedestal in this story. The pole is the item setting him apart from his community. It is interesting to see the items authors can give characters to make them appear heavenly or God-like.

8 comments:

  1. I agree that authors give characters items to make them appear God-like. Thinking about this makes me wonder why though. I mean what is it about those items that makes them so godly? It also made me wonder if there is something that exists in reality that could be considered an item that belongs to God Himself. Very thought-provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are making some interesting comparisons, but I also wonder if it is significant that Linus and Joseph could carry their items around with them while MC's is stuck in the ground. And also, why are these all children that have these items of distinction. Linus' blanket is psychologically protective--perhaps MC's is as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It said it published my post but I think it lied...

    I think you bring up some interesting comparisons. Some things I would also want to consider: How is it different that Linus and Joseph can carry their items around with them while MC's is stationary? Linus's item is psychological security- does the pole operate the same way for MC?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt necessarily find the pole to be a godlike symbol. I went more in the direction of being set apart from society. However, looking back on it I guess it does make sense. He is above everyone, watching over them and in the end comes down from the high and mighty pole to save his people. Now that i look at it in that perspective I see many more instances that set him, and many other characters in childrens literature apart.

    But i also find myself asking why that is? is there anything redeeming for children to get out of a character who has a God-like image when we are just human?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all the connections you made between other characters with defining artifacts and MC Higgins. I thought that was very insightful and made me revisit some past familiar characters - nice work! It made t easier for me to make a good connection with the character in retrospect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe that the pole does for MC Higgins both what the coat does for Joseph and what the blanket does for Linus. I think it is interesting how these items become so connected to different characters' identities. Cool ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with your description of the objects creating a God-like comparison by Hamilton. I would inquire though, does Hamilton give M.C. Higgins a God-like ego? Or are there qualities about him that set him apart and thus do not necessarily make him God-like, but rather more intuitive of his surroundings?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it was very interesting what you had to say about God-liked figures. I do agree with you the pole, blanket, and coat represent a god-like characteristic to the characters. I think it is very neat how you were able to put all these different stories into one idea.

    ReplyDelete